(09 Jul, 2016)
- Added support for blue neutral faces for BFC.
- Added "Right Side Up" feature, along with "Keep Right Side Up" setting while
in fly-through mode.
- Added support for menu item images in Windows on OSes prior to Windows
Vista. (Menu item images already worked on Vista and later.)
- Added scale selection to STL export. (Previously it was always cm.)
- Updated Mac version to support pinch gesture for zooming and three-finger
swipe gesture for panning.
- Added support of
openSUSE Build Service.
- Updated "Random colors" setting to avoid BFC face highlight colors enabled
under BFC (green front faces, red back faces, and blue neutral faces), but only
if they are enabled.
- Updated transparency sorting to use less memory during initialization.
- Updated highlighting in the model tree to work better on sub-geometry of the
selected line that has hard-coded colors (not color 16).
- Updated HTML Parts List for improved printing.
- Disable transparency when one or more of the red back faces, green front
faces, or blue neutral faces options is enabled, and BFC is enabled.
- Update POV export to improve generated file.
- Updated code to be compatible with Qt 5.x
- No longer require BASE install package on initial LDraw library install,
since it is no longer present in ptreleases.cgi.
- Fixed crash when taking a snapshot using a video card without Frame Buffer
- Fixed detection of LDConfig.ldr on case-sensitive file systems (Linux).
- Fixed zoom to fit to ignore conditional control points when they aren't set
to be drawn.
- Fixed rare bug where a recent filename getting truncated to fit in the menu
could cause memory corruption.
- Fixed crash related to BFC INVERTNEXT.
- Fixed menu item images when running in Vista and later with visual styles in
- Fixed crash in POV export when triangles or quads were in the file with
points less than .001 LDraw Units apart (but greater than 0 units).
- Fixed bug where sloped LGEO bricks would use the _slope version of the color
even if it was a color not directly supported by LGEO, and therefore without a
corresponding _slope color definition. This would result in a POV error.
- Fixed 3DS export to properly handle BFC INVERTNEXT.
- Fixed STL export problem where some colored geomtry would not be
- Fixed command line snapshot generation to pay attention to the Extra Search
Directories set via the UI.
- Fixed seams in POV export to not fail for parts that are as thin as or
thinner than the seam width (like stickers).
- Fixed autocrop to generate a 1x1 pixel image when all pixels in the image
match the background color. Previousy, it didn't crop at all.
- Fixed 3DS exporter to use object names that don't have too many
- Fixed position of pneumatic pistons on 8464.mpd to correct for their origin
having changed before they became official parts.
- Fixed uninitialized variable that sometimes prevented steps from
- Fixed Show All/Show None buttons on Mac version to not skip the last error
type, and to repopulate the error list based on the new selected errors.
- Fixed 3DS exporter creating files that are way bigger than needed.
(03 Dec, 2009)
- Added curve smoothing option for POV-Ray exports.
- Added ability to highlight the geometry represented by currently selected
line(s) in the model tree. (Note that multiple selection in the model tree is
only supported on the Mac.)
- Added status bar to model tree showing the filename and line number of the
currently selected line.
- Added ability to randomize colors (useful for part authoring).
- Added view mode toggle to default toolbar (Windows and Mac only).
- Added toolbar customization, along with the ability to put a lot of LDView
functionality on the toolbar (Windows and Mac only).
- Added OK and Cancel buttons to the MPD dialog. Hitting OK causes the
selected sub-model to remain selection after the dialog is dismissed.
- Added remote control support to Windows version, so other programs can
make LDView perform certain functions.
- Added "Overwrite existing snapshot" option to Parts List dialog when
"Show model" is checked.
- Added 3D-Studio export.
- Added ability to specify step from the command line.
- Added ability to specify MPD sub-model name from the command line.
- Added "Automatic" aspect ratio setting for POV exports.
- Added new !LDVIEW BBOX_IGNORE meta command, to allow you to specify parts of
the model that LDView should ignore during bounding box calculations. That way,
the default zoom and zoom to fit can be tighter.
- Add support for "ri" and "r" ring primitives.
- Add support for "r" torus primitives.
- Added 64-bit version of the Windows Explorer thumbnail generator plugin, so
thumbnail generation can now be performed on 64-bit versions of Windows.
- Added 64-bit Ubuntu package.
- Updated Linux version to use Qt 4.4/4.5 instead of Qt 3.3.
- Removed BFC and Show Axes from the default toolbar (Windows and Mac
- Updated examine/fly-through status bar icons.
- Changed the Model Bounding Box feature to be a toggle.
- Updated full screen mode to not change the display settings if the requested
display mode matches the current display mode.
- Updated snapshot save to include MPD sub-model name as part of the default
filename if an MPD sub-model is selected.
- Updated LGEO POV export to use LGEO studs even on non-LGEO parts.
- Updated automatic part downloading to improve its performance.
- Updates library update check to scan all existing part files to determine
the latest update already installed, instead of trying to figure this out based
on the contents of files in the models directory.
- Updated handling of quads with colinear points to split the quad into two
triangles at the colinear point in order to avoid T-Junctions.
- Improved detection of what version of the parts library is installed.
- Fixed problem that caused the view mode icon to show up in the wrong part
of the status bar sometimes, and show the lat/lon when in fly-through mode.
- Fixed crash when loading a part with "Part Bounding Boxes Only"
- Fixed resize grip on Model Tree dialog to not disappear immediately after
hiding the options.
- Fixed bug that caused a crash any time you tried to bring up the screensaver
- Fixed full screen support when used on a second monitor.
- Fixed POV export to not apply seams to sub-parts of parts.
- Fixed bug that caused the step in the toolbar to not update if you changed
steps while the model was rotating on its own.
- Stop applying seams to parts that have been transformed non-uniformly. This
was causing significant problems with flex tubes, which are stretched to
arbitrary lengths. The excessive stretching messed up the seam calculation,
causing them to be way too short.
- Fixed primitive substitution with 48-segment torus primitives to extract the
proper angle from the filename, instead of 3 times the proper angle.
- Fixed steps on toolbar when number of steps is more than 100.
- Fixed ring primitive substitution to support n-16rinx.dat files.
- Fixed opaque dithered extended colors to not be transparent.
- Fixed problem when a new preference set was selected via Apply (not OK) and
the new pref set has a different FSAA state than the previous one.
- Fixed it to give an error if the latest update currently installed doesn't
show up on ldraw.org's ptreleases.cgi script.
- Fixed Windows Explorer thumbnail generator plugin to not skip some LDraw
- Fixed uninstall to perform a reboot if uninstalling the Windows Explorer
thumbnail generator plugin, which often fails to properly uninstall without a
- Fixed final conditional line in cyls2 primitive substitution to not be
wrong when "Curve Quality" is set to anything other than its default value.
- Fixed "Check for Library Updates" to properly deal with recent part
(08 Feb, 2009)
- Fixed official part detection for parts in 2008-1 LDraw library update.
- Fixed generation of conditional lines on full tori to not produce invalid
- Fixed problem that caused invalid lighting with certain rare sub-model
(05 Jan, 2009)
- New Cocoa-based LDView for the Mac.
- Added basic support for steps.
- Added export feature to convert LDraw files into other file formats.
Currently POV-Ray and Stereo Lithography file formats are supported.
- Added Model Tree dialog (drawer in Cocoa version) to show a tree with all
the data from the model.
- Added MPD model selection to show sub-models inside MPD models.
- Added new latitude/longitude rotation mode.
- Added dialog to set the latitude/longitude. (This does not require you to
be in the new latitude/longitude rotation mode.)
- Added support for multiple processors, and multi-core processors.
Transparency sorting and conditional line calculations now happen in background
threads when LDView is run on a computer with more than one processor core.
- Added option to show the coordinate axes for the model, originating at the
- Added support for JPEG snapshots. The default JPEG settings are set using
rarely-used JPEG compression options that result in much better quality for
computer-generated imagery than is typically achieved with image tools.
(Specifically, LDView uses the 4:4:4 JPEG color sub-sampling by default.)
- Added Bounding Box dialog that shows the minimum and maximum coordinates of
the bounding box for the model, and draws that bounding box.
- Added view mode that only shows part bounding boxes.
- Added support for rotation in examine mode with the arrow keys on the
- Added steps to m6459.ldr sample model.
- Added -SaveSnapshots command line option to allow multiple snapshots to be
saved at once from the command line.
- Added "Transparent background" and "Auto-crop" to the snapshot saving UI.
(Previously, these options were only available via manual registry entries or
command line parameters.)
- Added ability to set the 3D portion of the LDView window to various sizes
with standard aspect ratios.
- Added ability to use the current LDView aspect ratio in the POV-Ray camera
- Added ability to control the default directory where snapshots and part
lists get saved. Choices are in the model directory, the most recently used
directory for the given file type, or a specified directory.
- Added support for Black_Edge color definition. Add a color to your
ldconfig.ldr with Black_Edge as its color name (case doesn't matter), and
LDView will use the given color for its black edge lines (assuming that
"Process ldconfig.ldr is checked in the general prefs.)
- Added icons from toolbar to corresponding menu items when running in Windows
- Decreased the amount of time needed to make certain preference changes (for
example, toggling edge lines).
- Greatly improved the output quality of "Transparent background" snapshots
when antialiased lines are enabled.
- Changed snapshot rendering in Windows to do software rendering directly to
an in-memory bitmap when the Pixel Buffer OpenGL extension is unavailable or
disabled. Previously, it rendered into the window, which caused a window to
appear for command line snapshot renders.
- Changed the default setting for conditional lines from off to on. Note that
since edge lines default to off, this won't be seen until the first time edge
lines are enabled.
- Changed the default setting for seams to on.
- Rotated 8464.mpd sample model 180 degrees so that it faces forward in the
default viewing angle.
- Updated the toolbar to have smaller buttons in Windows XP and Windows
- Changed "Always black" edges to be truly black, instead of whatever color
was assigned to color code 0.
- Updated "Always black" edges to use gray when used on dark colors, isntead
- Fixed Windows version so that switching to full screen doesn't trigger a
full model reload.
- Fixed handling of shift key when moving via the keyboard in fly-through
- Fixed check boxes in group box titles in preferences to only show underlines
under mnemonic characters when appropriate when running with themes
- Fixed bug where mouse control got messed up badly if you used
<Alt><Tab> to switch to another program while dragging with the
mouse in LDView.
- Don't show model load failure error message if the user cancels the model
- Fixed bug that sometimes caused a vertical line to appear on the left edge
of large snapshots.
- Fixed handling of transparent and invisible LDLite color codes.
- Fixed Errors & Warnings Dialog on Windows verison to show the proper
error and warning counts when the dialog isn't shown automatically.
- Fixed lock up when "Show View Info" was selected in Windows while themodel
- Diable Open Model toolbar button during load. Using it would result in a
- Fixed bug where hitting escape during load didn't work in Windows Vista
(and maybe other versions of Windows also).
- Fixed bug where changing to a new LDraw directory would still give you a
message that the LDraw directory could not be found.
- Fixed primitive substitution to work with primitives in the Unofficial/p
- Fixed primitive substitution for 3-8ndis primitive.
- Fixed fly-through speed to be dependent of FPS, so that having a super
high FPS doesn't produce super fast fly-through.
- Fixed primitive substitution to work better with curve smoothing with
cone, sphere, and torus primitives.
- Fixed problem with condtional lines showing up when they weren't supposed to
when their control points went outside of the view frustum.
(20 Aug, 2007)
- Added ability to generate an HTML parts list of your model.
- Added ability to set the direction that the light source points, both with
predefined light directions in the Preferences Dialog, and by holding down
Shift and dragging with the mouse.
- Added support for light.dat files in LDraw models. Unless disabled, these
will generate point light sources in the scene, up to a total of 8 lights.
- Added ability to use LDView to generate thumbnails of .ldr and .mpd files in
Windows Explorer and Gnome Nautilus.
- Made it so dragging with the middle mouse button pans (in addition to
the existing dragging with the left mouse button while holding down
- Added support for anisotropic filtering on video cards that support it.
- Added scroll wheel support to QT version.
- Added BFC toolbar button to QT version.
- Added support for the new !ldraw_org meta-statement to be used in the next
official parts release.
- Made it so that settings specified on the command line don't get saved as if
they had been specified in the UI. (For example, -WindowWidth=320 on the
command line would result in LDView launching with a window width of 320 the
next time it was run.)
- Updated Zoom to Fit command so that the model remaines auto-centered after
- Moved Errors & Warnings, Show View Info, and Show POV-Ray Camera Info to
a new Tools menu.
- Made it so only the main row of an error entry is bold. Sub-rows are now
- Made it so that transparency values of 240 and above are considered opaque.
This was done to get rid of ugly artifacts that show up on the glow-in-the-dark
color, which has a transparency value of 250.
- Fixed bug in error reporting that would lead to a crash when the model file
has a really long line.
- Fixed command line processing of -SaveSnapshot so that it doesn't generate a
- Fixed bug that caused the LDView screensaver to crash when you tried to
bring up its settings.
- Fixed bug where some models would be clipped after a Zoom to Fit.
- Fixed bug where the Errors & Warnings window would sporadically not draw
correctly after being resized.
- Fixed cutaway wireframe causing one entire eye image to be drawn in
wireframe when stereo is enabled.
- Fixed tiled snapshot saves to not ignore the SaveAlpha setting.
- Fixed -cg option to support the optional radius portion.
- Fixed tiled snapshot saves when PBuffer isn't available to make the image
size an even multiple of the number of tiles used. It already did this with
PBuffer snapshots. With non-PBuffer snapshots, you ended up with a border
(usually black) on the top and right sides of the image.
- Fixed display glitch in Windows versions when switching the viewing angle
via the toolbar. Switching the viewing angle via the main menu still has the
- Fixed command line snapshot saves to pay attention to the file extension of
the snapshot file specified on the command line, instead of using the
- Fixed crash when LDView encounters two LDraw files that refer to each other.
It now generates an error and skips the child model's reference to its
(09 Oct, 2006)
- Added automatic download of the LDraw parts library.
- Added automatic updating of the LDraw parts library.
- Added automatic downloading of unofficial parts from the LDraw.org Parts
- Added ability to generate a POV-Ray camera section based on the current view
- Added warning for parts that have been renamed.
- Added warning for usage of automatically downloaded unofficial parts.
- Added full snapshot support to the Linux version.
- Added printing support to Linux version.
- Added option to the Windows installer to open .ldr and .mpd files with
- Updated m6459.ldr sample model to no longer contain renamed
- Updated generation of new triangles and lines from quads and triangles that
contain identical or co-linear vertices to use the original text from the file
to generate the new primitives, instead of using text generated based on
rounding of the numbers.
- Updated the warning messages generated in the above case to also use the
text from the file, instead of rounding the numbers.
- Renamed the Error window to Errors & Warnings.
- Updated Windows version to disable more menu items when there's no model
- Fixed handling of 12-bit dithered transparent direct colors.
- Fixed crash that occurred when one of the numeric parameters was missing
from a line-type 1 line that referenced a filename that began with a number
(such as a part).
- Fixed LDView so that it gives you an error if you select a file from the
recent files list, and the file no longer exists.
(13 Dec, 2005)
- Completely new rendering engine, written from scratch. This allows for
the following enhancements that would have been very difficult before:
- Significantly reduced memory usage on large models. Measured reduction on
Orion Pobursky's Imperial Star Destroyer model with all settings set to default:
86%. The same, but with LDView 3's Memory usage setting set to Low: 90%.
(Note that these are reductions of and 86% and 90%, respectively, meaning
LDView 3 requires 16% the memory LDView 2.1.01 requires on that model with
- Significantly reduced load time on large models.
- BFC (Back Face Culling) support.
- BFC verification support (red back faces and/or green front faces).
- Potentially faster rendering. (Actual speed differences vary significantly
based on video hardware and what settings are set.)
- Added a toolbar (which can of course be disabled if desired).
- Added support for translation DLLs.
- Added a distinction between errors and warnings.
- Added detection of more problems and potential problems with model files,
leading to more errors and warnings.
- Added support for making the default color transparent. (Primarily useful
for part authors.)
- Added direct access to the help file to the Linux version.
- Added primitive substitution support for full-circle versions of new torus
- Added primitive substitution support for chord primitives.
- Added context-sensitive help to the save snapshot dialog.
- Added workaround for snapshot corruption that was happening on some video
cards (Don't use Pixel Buffer option during snapshot save).
- Added Memory usage option to allow LDView to conserve even more memory.
(This comes at the possible expense of speed. However, if you're swapping when
the Memory usage setting is set to High, and not swapping when it's set
to Low, then Low will be faster.)
- Added support for LDraw search directory list in ldraw.ini using Lars
Hassing's LDrawIni code.
- Added support for spaces in submodel filenames. (Generates a warning.)
- Added extra command line parsing for use when using LDView as a renderer
- Added detection of primitive comment so that primitive detection can work on
primitives outside the ldraw\p directory.
- Added support for automatic cropping of images (via the command line only;
no UI at this time.
- Added new sample model created by Peter Bartfai: 8464.mpd.
- Rearranged items in the File menu.
- Revamped error dialog box.
- Removed the recompile requirement for P-Buffer snapshots.
- Updated primitive substitution support to also substitute primitives in the
- Updated text of check buttons in group box titles of preferences to match
the color of other group box titles when run in Windows XP with themes
- Improved sorting of transparent substituted primitives.
- Updated color handling to match LDraw's behavior for unknown colors.
- Fixed transparent extended colors so they work.
- Fixed snapshot saving to always redraw the model after the snapshot
- Fixed maximum depth of cutaway mode.
- Fixed default zoom for tall windows.
- Fixed zoom-to-fit with wide edge lines and wide wireframe lines.
- Fixed panning to be usable over the entire supported field-of-view
- Fixed problem in OpenGL driver information dialog that would cause a crash
on some video cards.
- Fixed problem that caused the delete button not to be enabled after a single
directory was added to the extra search directories list.
- Fixed smoothing to not smooth across sharp angles.
- Fixed auto-calculated extension for BMP snapshots when the save snapshot
series option wasn't enabled.
- Fixed zooming with the mouse wheel.
- Fixed seams to not double-shrink parts that are referenced from other
- Fixed clipping problem that sometimes showed up in fly-through mode.
- Fixed command line parsing problem that could cause LDView to crash.
- Fixed command line parsing problem that could cause LDView to incorrectly
miss an LDraw file specified on the command line.
- Fixed problem that caused subfiles in an MPD file with a backslash (\) in
their filename not to load.
- Fixed problem that prevented screensaver settings from sticking when a
preference set was selected in the screensaver.
- Fixed problem that prevented status bar from being visible when LDView was
started up maximized.
(10 Jul, 2004)
- Re-introduced co-linear point detection in quads. I discovered that my
previous belief that there was a legitimate use for them was flawed.
- Added ability to the screen saver to have it randomly choose a preference
set each time it runs. It should be noted that the preference set
includes the screen saver file or directory selection, so you can have
individual models display with particular settings if you want.
- Added support for snapshots up to 9999x9999 on any video card by using
tiling to construct images bigger than would otherwise be supported.
- Updated line drawing when antialiased lines are enabled to get rid of
artifacts around some edge lines of transparent colors. This has the
(somewhat undesirable) side-effect of making edge lines around transparent
shapes less distinct.
- Fixed Zoom to Fit to work properly after panning the view.
- Fixed hidden line removal when sorting of transparent shapes isn't
- Fixed problem that caused LDView to lock up if the background color or
default color was chosen without a model loaded.
- Fixed preference set deletion. It had no permanent effect before.
- Fixed zoom to fit so that it works when stereo viewing is enabled.
(03 Jan, 2004)
- Added Zoom to Fit command, as well as Zoom to Fit option during snapshot
saving. This uses the auto camera positioning algorithm from L3P (which was
graciously provided to me by Lars Hassing).
- Added ability to remove hidden lines from wireframe mode.
- Added ability to change the default viewing angle, and added the ability to
get to the original isometric viewing angle if you change the default one.
- Added ability to specify a view matrix on the command line.
- Added ability to specify the camera's latitude and longitude on the
command line (similar to L3P's -cg command line option).
- Added ability to modify the default zoom level on the command line.
- Added menu command to show information about the current view and copy it
to the clipboard in a format suitable for use on the command line.
- Added ability to control the field of view.
- Added documentation for the -SaveSnapshot command line option.
- Added support for ldconfig.ldr.
- Added support for custom colors inside model files (as well as inside
ldconfig.ldr) using the 0 COLOR meta-command.
- Added ability to specify extra part/sub-model search directories.
- Added an optional work-around for a problem that sometimes prevented
Windows 98 systems from going into power save mode when LDView was used as a
- Added context-sensitive help to screen saver settings.
- Added ability to screen saver to select a directory and have a random model
from that directory picked each time the screen saver runs.
- Updated fly controls to deal with FOV changes. They won't work quite as
well at extreme FOV settings, but they should still be usable.
- Removed Default from Viewing Angles menu. It was redundant, since it did
the same thing as the Reset View command, and likely more confusing than
- Improved transparent shape sorting performance.
- Fixed precision in error window to prevent excessive rounding of the
displayed values (note that the actual values were never rounded).
- Added missing documentation for HiResPrimitives registry/command line
- Added code to prevent multiple copies of the LDView screen saver from
running simultaneously. This shouldn't be necessary, but since I received a
report in Windows 98SE indicating about 50 copies of the LDView screen saver, it
is obviously useful as a safety measure.
- Added code to allow power save mode to work in Windows 98 when using LDView
as a screen saver. As with the multiple copies problem, this shouldn't be
necessary, but it appears to be (at least on some systems).
- Fixed -SaveSnapshot to handle relative paths correctly for the image
- Fixed -SaveAlpha to work again. It was broken at some point.
- Fixed the Reset functionality of each preference page to work properly.
- Fixed status bar to continue to correctly display the FPS after you switch
- Removed detection and handling of co-linear points in quads. There is
a legitimate reason to have a quad that degenerates into a triangle; it can
prevent seams from being visible in certain circumstances.
- Fixed SaveSnapshot so that it now only loads the model once; previously it
would load it and then immediately reload it, doubling the load time.
- Fixed default camera zoom level to be the correct value, instead of a loose
approximation that occasionally resulted in clipping.
- Fixed FOV calculation when the window is taller than it is wide.
- Fixed command line parsing to properly handle quotes around a filename
specified as part of an option.
- Fixed jerkiness in fly-through mode after setting preferences.
- Fixed screen saver so it correctly automatically finds the LDView help file
when you use context help (as long as LDView has been run at least once from its
- Fixed screen saver so that when you hit the Reset button on the Screen
Saver settings tab, the Apply button is enabled.
(07 Oct, 2003)
- Fixed Open File dialog on pre-Windows 2000 machines. (This was broken by
my Windows XP changes in 2.0.2.)
(03 Oct, 2003)
- Added support for Windows XP visual styles. LDView now uses the currently
selected visual style when running in Windows XP.
- Updated status bar progress bar to look OK in both Windows XP style and
- Changed OpenGL initialization failure message to be more user-friendly, and
updated it to exit when an OpenGL initialization failure occurs.
- Removed special handling of 4-4con12.dat file, now that the original
messed up file (radius 1, instead of 12) is no longer supported by the parts
- Cleaned up color handling, as well as changing the definition of a few
- Fixed Show all and Show control points under Conditional
lines in the Edge Lines box of the Geometry preferences tab
to have proper default values and reset properly.
- Fixed startup routine to not show a window when generating an image based
on the command line on computers with the PBuffer extension. (Computers wihout
the PBuffer extension require the window to be opened in order to render the
image.) This worked in the past, and was broken by another bug fix.
(23 Aug, 2003)
- Added support for arbitrary FSAA modes.
- Updated direction of mirroring of stud logos based on empirical evidence
that the original direction was less often appealing.
- Changed general preferences tab to handle arbitrary FSAA modes.
- Fixed problem that caused certain keyboard shortcuts (including F5-reload)
to crash LDView on some systems.
- Fixed bug in part detection that resulted in not recognizing certain files
as parts even though they had the appropriate comment.
- Fixed part scaling to skip parts with one or more dimensions that are zero.
This caused a divide by zero, which resulted in an infinite scale factor.
- Fixed part detection not to falsely recognize subparts as parts.
- Fixed OpenGL error that always showed up on non-nVidia video cards.
- Fixed changing FSAA mode on ATI video cards. There appears to be a bug in
the ATI drivers that prevented changes from one mode to another from working
properly. I added code to work around this.
- Fixed font rendering on ATI video cards with FSAA enabled.
- Fixed con0 primitive substitution to stop producing a dark result.
(01 Jun, 2003)
- Fixed edge line thickness to be correct in wireframe mode. Before, edge
lines were drawn using the thickness setting for wireframe lines when drawing
in wireframe mode.
- Fixed smoothing and seam width to work properly on mirrored parts.
(06 Apr, 2003)
- Added ability to have LDView draw just edge lines, with hidden line removal
by default, or no hidden line removal when in wireframe mode.
- Added ShowAllType5 and ShowType5ControlPoints settings to the Preferences
panel so that they can be changed from inside LDView. (Before, you had to
either specify them on the command line or modify the registry.)
- Added support for hi-res (48-sided) primitives. This only currently has
an effect when primitive substitution is disabled, since all of the current
hi-res primitives are supported by primitive substitution.
- Updated "new" torus primitive substitution to treat size fractions of nnnn
to be n / 9, instead of nnnn / 10000. This means that 3333 correctly gets
interpreted as 1/3.
- Sped up curve smoothing (significantly, in certain situations).
- Updated recent file tracking to not include files with a ".tmp" extension.
This was done primarily to prevent LDraw Design Pad temp files from cluttering
up the recent files list. It seems safe to assume that if a file has a ".tmp"
extension, it's a temporary file, and shouldn't go in the recent files
- Fixed Antialiased Lines settings to also antialias conditional edge
- Fixed bug in MPD-handling code that caused incorrect rendering of MPD files
that contained repeat copies of a subfile.
- Fixed bug that the model didn't draw completely correctly if loaded in
wireframe mode and then switched to display in non-wireframe mode.
Unfortunately, the fix requires reloading the model when switching wireframe
mode on and off.
- Fixed default custom colors in the color chooser to work in Windows XP. It
wasn't working at all before (and may have been broken in Windows NT/2000 as
- Fixed screen saver browse file button to include .ldr files in the default
- Fixed bug in curve smoothing algorithm that caused certain edges to be
smoothed that shouldn't have been. This can actually make some parts look
worse, but every one I can find that got worse isn't modeled correctly.
(16 Mar, 2003)
- Added ability to assign hot keys to preference sets.
- Added six preset viewing angles (front, back, left, right, top, and
bottom) in addition to the pre-existing default viewing angle.
- Added optional installation of screen saver to install program.
- Updated screen saver to not allow task switching in 95/98/Me when waiting
for a password. I can't really test this, as I no longer have a 95/98/Me
machine. If it doesn't work properly, it could potentially require a hard
- Updated setup when "High quality" is selected for edge lines to hopefully
produce acceptable results across a wider range of hardware.
- Fixed primitive substitution to correctly support the new con0 cone
primitives. They aren't the same shape as the other cone primitives that all
have a hole in the middle, and ended up rendering incorrectly.
- Fixed intermittent crash in Windows XP when the Preferences panel is
- Fixed status bar to update properly in Windows XP. It wasn't displaying the
FPS due to updates not being drawn while the model was spinning.
- Fixed interaction between status bar and window size so that window stays
a consistent size after switching to and from fullscreen mode, and between
multiple runs of LDView, whether or not the status bar is visible.
- Fixed screen saver mode to hopefully work properly again. It has been
completly broken for a while now.
- Fixed window activation problems that caused LDView not to be activated when
it was run, and when switching to and from fullscreen mode.
- Fixed problem that caused errors to be added to the error log for studs
that don't have a low-res version when LDView is set to use low-res studs.
(12 Jan, 2003)
- Added primitive substitution support for n-16 versions of some
primitives. Due to their current absence from the released parts library,
this has perforce received limited testing.
- Updated many of the settings to be global. The preference set feature
added in 1.9.8 now mostly only effects the settings in the Preferences
- Changed from ZIP-based distribution to executable installer.
- Fixed the help documentation to contain recently added but undocumented
registry/command line options.
- Fixed bug which caused a crash when loading a model that doesn't reference
any other models (such as a primitive).
- Fixed smoothing of curves. (It was broken completely in 1.9.8.)
(29 Nov, 2002)
- Added support for multiple named sets of preferences.
- Added examine/fly-through mode indicator icon to taskbar.
- Added support for gray rubber (color 375). I made it significantly
less shiny when specular lighting is enabled. (There is no visual difference
when specular lighting is disabled.)
- Enhanced the performance of the Windows version slightly by disabling
compiler support for structured exception handling (which I don't use).
- Decreased memory usage in certain situations.
- Fixed finding the help files when run from the command line. As far as I
know, this always worked in Windows 98, but sometimes failed in other
- Fixed window close button (X) on preferences panel so that it actually
closes the window now.
- Fixed problem that caused relative paths to not work on the command
- Fixed problem that allowed relative paths to end up in the recent files list
and not work.
- Fixed black rubber support broken in version 1.9.7.
(09 Sep, 2002)
- Created a version using QT. This was developed in Linux, but should work in
any Unix-like operating system with OpenGL and QT support and a 32-bit compiler.
(I can almost guarantee it won't work if compiled with a 64-bit compiler.)
RedHat 7.3-compatible Linux binaries available for download.
- Added a status bar (which can be hidden).
- Added Fly-through Mode.
- Added unique specular properties to gold, chrome, and the electrical contact
color to try to better convey their metallic nature. They still aren't
reflective, but they are now more shiny.
- Added support for BaseDirectory setting in [LDraw] section of
- Added a menu item to allow you to manually change the LDraw directory once
it has been chosen for the first time. This is only useful when the old
directory still exists, because LDView checks for it every time it runs and
automatically prompts you if it goes away.
- Added "Always on Top" menu item to the View menu to make LDView a topmost
- Increased the maximum curve quality to 12, twice the previous maximum of
- Got rid of progress panel, and instead show progress in the new status bar.
Canceling a load can now be accomplished either by hitting escape or selecting
the Cancel Load item on the file menu. Even when the status bar is set
to be hidden, it is shown during image loads to show progress. Hopefully this
change will remove the image load problems that showed up to varying extents on
varying hardware (particularly for those people who had no problems in LDView
- Updated to display FPS in the status bar if the status bar is visible and
FPS are set to be displayed in the preferences. FPS is displayed as before
when the status bar is not visible (including in full-screen mode).
- Updated OpenGL Driver Info window to be resizable, and added a status bar
listing the number of extensions and WGL extensions.
- Incorporated font texture and stud texture into executable, thus removing
those two files from the distribution.
- Fixed bug in MPD parsing that caused LDView to crash when one of the MPD
pieces was marked as a part, and that piece was scaled non-uniformly.
- Fixed bug that caused unix-format MPD files not to parse properly.
- Fixed bug that made it so that changing the specular preference had no
effect if Alternate lighting was checked.
- Fixed bug that caused in-frame FPS text to be drawn half its normal width
when stereo viewing was enabled.
- Fixed bug that caused the field of view to be greater than 180 degrees with
a really tall skinny window (thus inverting the model). If your screen
resolution was 1600x1200 or lower, you had to be in stereo mode in order to
witness this bug.
- Fixed field of view calculation for tall skinny windows to come closer to
preserving the model's scale (instead of shrinking the model down to
nothing). This fix probably removes the need for the field of view cap fix
above, but it was done separately.
- Fixed bug that caused wireframe cutaway in tall skinny windows to draw the
wireframe portion with the wrong field of view (making the wireframe portion too
- Fixed a (minor, one-time) memory leak in the OpenGL Driver Info panel.
(04 Aug, 2002)
- Added support for antialiased lines.
- Added support for file type meta-command to force recognition of a file as a
part, even if it isn't in the parts directory. This mainly effects seams and
- Added ability to copy the text from the currently selected error in the
error window to the Windows clipboard.
- Updated OpenGL Driver info to all be consolidated into one panel (in a format
that can be copied to the clipboard).
- Updated Font texture to a better looking font. (Well, I think it looks
better, but since I constructed it myself about 10 years ago, I guess I'm
- Fixed color bug that caused some submodels to be drawn in the default color,
instead of their correct color.
- Fixed problem with texture-based font rendering.
- Fixed problem that caused an OpenGL error to show up in the error panel on
hardware without the FSAA multisample OpenGL extension.
- Fixed the high quality edge lines option to work on all hardware, and
changed it to be on by default.
- Fixed bugs which caused nothing to be drawn after switching to fullscreen,
or changing the antialiasing mode.
- Fixed bug in OpenGL mode selection code that probably resulted in random
mode selection failures, as well as possible crashes. This should only have
effected antialiased modes and snapshots.
- Fixed bug in alternate lighting setup that sometimes caused it to be slower
than it should have been. This also sometimes slowed down lighting when
specular was enabled.
- Fixed bug that caused cancelation during model compilation to fail and put
LDView into a state where you could still rotate the model, but not access any
of the menus, or even exit.
- Fixed bug that caused colored geometry to disappear (permanently) when a
snapshot was taken in Windows.
(26 May, 2002)
- Added support for smooth shaded curves, using the presense of Type 5 lines
as an indicator of a curved surface. Thanks to Martijn Zwaal for the basis
of the algorithm used to implement this feature.
- Added experimental support for the use of the alpha channel in PNG snapshots
to produce a transparent background. Currently only accessible via the command
line or registry with the SaveAlpha setting.
- Fixed bug introduced in 1.9.4 which prevented you from viewing any models
when LDView was started with a maximized window.
(10 May, 2002)
- Added support for Type 5 lines (conditional edge lines). Implemented
primarily by Don Heyse using experience/code from LdGLite.
- Added conditional lines to substituted primitives.
- Added ability to set preferences on the command line.
- Sped up drawing of non-compiled elements (sorted transparent shapes and the
new Type 5 lines).
- Fixed possible bug where some sorted transparent shapes might have drawn in
the wrong color.
- Fixed font corruption after some snapshot saves.
- Fixed problem where Ctrl+S didn't work until after you looked at the file
(13 Apr, 2002)
- Added ability to select the default color. I expect this is most useful for
part authors, but at least some models use color 16.
- Added ability to reset each of the preferences pages back to their default
- Added detection and handling of co-linear points in triangles and
- Updated error window to be displayed after an automatic reload. Note that
certain preference changes can change the errors that are generated, since some
of the error checking is the result of certain preference settings.
- Updated the default custom colors to be the first 16 LDraw colors. This
makes the new default color feature easier to use.
- Fixed edge line color for default-colored parts. Before, the default color
was always 7 (light gray), but 7 was also being used for the edge lines. Color
8 is now used by default. If the default color is changed, an appropriate
highlight color is used (usually black).
- Fixed all discovered memory leaks.
- Fixed recent files to show up in file menu after switching back from
- Fixed FPS display to hopefully work in all configurations by using a
texture mapped font.
- Fixed FPS to not be fuzzy when an enhanced FSAA mode is used (as long as
vsync is enabled).
- Fixed screen saver mode to cover the taskbar when it isn't set to auto
(19 Feb, 2002)
- Added ability to texture map a logo onto studs.
- Added ability to have the cutaway portion display as wireframe.
- Added experimental screen saver support.
- Added support for BMP snapshots.
- Added disclaimer to About box and Readme.txt.
- Added new lighting setup that improves performance on some/all video cards
when specular is disabled.
- Updated preferences to make room for extra primitive substitution settings
by adding a new tab and moving primitive-based preferences to the new tab.
- Updated all lines to be opaque to make edge lines show up on transparent
- Updated the recent files list to include full paths up to 250 pixels wide,
and put ellipses into paths that are too long to fit.
- Updated source to compile with standard glext.h and wglext.h header files
- Fixed line widths to apply when the program is started, instead of only
after they are changed.
- Fixed "Always black" preference on Geometry tab to be in the correct spot
in the tab order for keyboard navigation.
- Fixed snapshot saves to update the filename immediately when you change the
number of digits.
- Fixed minimum near clipping plane calculation to be based on the size of
the model so that edge lines don't "pop" when you zoom super close using the
ZoomMax registry setting.
- Fixed Reset View to reset the near and far clipping planes immediately,
so that you can see the entire model without having to first move your
(27 Jan, 2002)
- Added support for panning the camera.
- Added setting to always use black for edge lines. This is most useful for
part authors to be able to see the edge lines better.
- Added setting to control the curve quality of primitive substitution. The
minimum value produces 8-sided circles; the maximum produces 48-sided
- Added primitive substitution support for new torus primitives.
- Added primitive substitution support for "ndis" (not-disk) primitives.
This is necessary for curve quality to work well.
- Added progress panel during PNG file creation. This is especially useful
for high-resolution files. Hitting cancel cancels the save and deletes the
incomplete PNG file.
- Renamed m6459.dat to m6459.ldr like it was supposed to be named in
- Updated default zoom level to slightly higher. In all but the most extreme
circumstances, the model will still never go outside the window borders at this
- Updated to disable seam width setting if seams are disabled.
- Updated primitive substitution to parse primitive names in a more generic
- Fixed error window to update when the model is reloaded (either manually
or automatically via polling).
- Fixed background color chooser dialog to be a child of the preferences
- Fixed problem where canceling the preferences wouldn't fully reset the
background color, seam width, FSAA mode and stereo mode.
- Fixed the preferences dialog to properly free up the resources it allocates
- Fixed seam width adjustment to work again.
- Fixed it so that menus will work when the model is spinning and animated
menus are enabled in Windows. The spinning now pauses when you go to select
from a menu.
- Fixed drag/drop support so that dropped files update the most recent open
directory and show up on the recent files list.
- Fixed image save with dimensions that are too large to display the
appropriate error message.
- Fixed print progress panel to stop it from flickering, and changed text
from "Printing..." to "Printing Model.".
- Fixed primitive substitution to get rid of false positives.
- Fixed serious memory leaks introduced in version 1.9.
(10 Jan, 2002)
- Added this HTML file to distribution as a replacement for History.txt.
- Added support for full-scene antialiasing (FSAA).
- Added printing support.
- Added stereoscopic 3D support.
- Added ability to save PNG snapshots.
- Added support for LDLite direct colors and L3P/L3Lab 24-bit colors.
- Added context-sensitive help for all preferences.
- Added recent files list.
- Added support for .ldr as a standard LDraw file extension.
- Added error panel to display errors encountered when loading a model.
Added an option to automatically display this panel after loading a model if
errors are detected during the load.
- Added progress panel with cancel button while model is loading,
compiling, or printing.
- Added option to sort transparent polygons. This produces a more correct
rendering, but can slow things down. The sorting is not correct 100% of the
- Added menu item to the View menu to reset the view back to the orientation
that is displayed when a model is first loaded.
- Added sample file (m6459.dat) to distribution.
- Added ability to set maximum zoom level. (Suggested and demoed by
Carsten Schmitz.) Currently requires Registry editing.
- Added version resource to executable.
- Added WGL Extensions menu item to Help->OpenGL Info submenu.
- Added release dates to this document.
- Added releases prior to 0.5.1 to this document
- Updated preferences to be in a tabbed format.
- Updated check which prevents seam creation to have more loose check to
better allow for round-off.
- Updated internal model representation to facilitate (among other things)
the sorting of transparent polygons.
- Updated this document to be in table format.
- Updated About Box to include "Thanks to" section.
- Updated date format in About Box to "DD Mon, YYYY" format.
- Updated high quality lines to only be available when Edge Lines are
- Updated so lighting settings are only available when lighting is
- Updated so wireframe fog is only available when wireframe is enabled.
- Updated to statically link against my own libraries, so TCFoundation.dll and
CUI.dll are no longer necessary.
- Removed code which prevents any axis from being scaled to 0.
- Updated to decrease the size of the model when the window is made narrower
than its height. This is particularly useful when Stereo is enabled, as the
two views are often taller than they are wide.
- Fixed panels so that escape triggers the cancel button.
- Fixed typo (missing space) in message when selecting the LDRAW
- Fixed color bug where white shapes would not alway display in the correct
color. (Found and fixed by Carsten Schmitz.)
(17 Oct, 2000)
- Added check box to enable/disable seams, so you don't have to drop them all
the way down to 0.00 to disable them.
- Changed "High quality studs" option to "Low quality studs (faster)", and
inverted the logic behind the check-box accordingly.
- Made capitilization of preferences options consistent.
- Made minor modifications to Help.html.
- Fixed command line parsing to work when the filename has quotes around
- Fixed command line parsing to not blow up when the file and/or directory
cannot be found.
- Fixed polling code to work in Windows 95. (I accidentally used a function
originally that didn't exist in 95.)
- Fixed primitive substitution bug where enabling seams was producing
incorrect surface normals.
- Fixed part-determination for seams to allow part names which end with a
letter. I incorrectly thought that these would all be sub-parts. I now
determine whether it is a subpart based on whether its parent model is a
- Fixed it to get the ldraw dir out of the registry when you specify a file on
the command line.
- Fixed seam code to shrink a part even when it is the main file which is
opened. (This has extremely marginal value, but is more cosistent.)
(06 Oct, 2000)
- Added File->Reload menu item (F5) to reload the current model.
- Added Polling menu with options to automatically reload the current model
when the file is changed by some other program.
- Added ellipses (...) to menu items which open panels.
- Added the ablity to do cut-aways by moving the near clipping plane away from
- Added Help->Contents menu item to display Help.html in your web
- Added documentation for all the menu items.
- Moved the Help menu back over with the other menu items to be consistent
with other Windows apps.
- Changed it so that it displays a directory tree if it cannot determine your
LDraw directory (instead of forcing you to type in the path).
- Converted the README.TXT file to HTML and renamed it to Help.html. In
addition to the conversion to HTML and enhancements in formatting, I also
improved the content somewhat.
- Fixed the frame rate calculation to be more accurate.
- Fixed zoom speed to be consistent across models of different sizes.
- Fixed startup code to correctly maximize the window if it was maximized when
you last exited. This worked at one point, but became broken.
- Fixed it to search the MODELS subdirectory of the LDRAW directory when
looking for a part.
- Fixed it so that when fullscreen mode fails, it switches back to windowed
mode gracefully after presenting the error panel (instead of waiting for you to
switch back manually, then crashing without restoring the video mode).
(25 Sep, 2000)
- Added sphere primitive substitution. This was--by far--the hardest
primitive substitution. Unlike the other primitive substitutions, the sphere
primitive substitution results in a different set of polygons being drawn. The
sphere that LDView creates is made up of 16 triangles, unlike the standard
sphere primitive, which is made up of 9 quads and 4 triangles.
- Added support for black rubber (color 256). I made it significantly
less shiny when specular lighting is enabled. (There is no visual difference
when specular lighting is disabled.)
- Added support for stipple transparency.
- Changed it so only the OpenGL window has a private device context. This is
much more in keeping with standard Win32 programming guidelines.
- Fixed NT bug where the video mode list would have a bunch of repeats for
each resolution (one for each refresh rate at that resolution, I think).
- Fixed bug where background color button would not show the currently
selected color if you used Ctrl+Shift+P to bring up the preferences panel for
the first time.
- Fixed bug where concave polygons with non-winding points would cause a
crash. I definitely fixed the crash; I think I fixed it so that they will
actually draw correctly as well.
- Fixed possible bug in substituted primitive color setting. I never saw the
problem exhibit itself, but the code seemed wrong.
- Added primitive substitution option. This produces higher quality output,
as well as slightly enhanced performance. I have created substitutions for the
- Low-res Studs (Standard Studs are made up of other primitives.)
- Sloped Cylinders
- Disks (no visual difference)
- Rings (no visual difference)
- Edges (no visual difference)
- Added support for concave quads (it now splits them into two
- Optimized model-loading to decrease load time somewhat (only really
noticeable on really large models).
- Updated Open Panel to be owned by main window. This was required to allow
it to work in fullscreen mode.
- Fixed command line file opening to switch to the directory containing the
model so that if it references other sub-models it will still work.
- Fixed drag and drop to change to the dropped file's directory so that models
with subparts will work.
- Fixed bug in which color wasn't initialized properly always, resulting in
incorrect colors sometimes.
- Fixed keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+O, Ctrl+Q, Ctrl+Shift+P, etc). Although I
believe they worked when I originally added them, they have been broken for
awhile now. Note that these work while in fullscreen mode on some video cards,
so you can now change options and open a new file without having to switch back
to windowed mode (assuming you remember Ctrl+O and Ctrl+Shift+P).
(29 Aug, 2000)
- Added fullscreen support.
- Added mouse scroll-wheel support for zooming.
- Added ability to specify a file on the command line so you can use LDView as
your default DAT/MPD file viewer and/or drop files on the program to launch
with that file.
- Added ability to drag and drop files onto the program window to have them
- Enhanced zooming to slow down when up close and speed up when far away.
- Fixed bug with color choice where if you canceled the preferences panel
while choosing a color, it would crash.
(16 Aug, 2000)
- Performed significant code rearrangement and cleanup in the model code.
- Fixed MPD parsing bug which would cause a crash with some MPD files.
(13 Aug, 2000)
- Added OK/Cancel/Apply to Preferences, and made it so that preference changes
don't go into effect until either OK or Apply is hit. All options now go into
effect immediately thereafter. (You no longer have to reload the model after
changing certain options.)
(29 Jun, 2000)
- Updated bounding box code to use my own matrix multiply routine (instead of
the OpenGL matrix multiply). The rest of the code was already using my
routine. These matrix multiplications are all pre-processing, not
- Fixed problems with device context and OpenGL context handling. This will
hopefully make it run again on non-nVidia hardware. It definitely works again
with the Microsoft software renderer.
(27 Jun, 2000)
- Fixed registry bug introduced in v0.6 which prevented settings from being
saved in NT.
(25 Jun, 2000)
- Added ability to put seams between pieces (ala L3P).
- Added edge line support (with toggle).
- Added high-quality mode for lines (with toggle)--uses glPolygonOffset to
move all filled shapes (triangles and quads) away from the viewer by a little
- Added ability to turn off lighting (useful with edge lines turned on).
- Added subdued lighting mode (with toggle), which is about halfway in
between the standard lighting mode and no lighting.
- Added wireframe support (with toggle).
- Added support for fog in wireframe mode (with toggle).
- Added asterisk to all the preferences that require the model to be
reloaded. Put note at the bottom of the panel explaining.
- Added OpenGL Driver Info submenu to help menu:
- Added release date to About box.
- Added code to changed the mouse cursor to a wait cursor while the model is
- Renamed from L3DView to LDView (to avoid confusion with L3P/L3Lab).
- Updated Icon to reflect new name.
- Updated About Box to reflect new name.
- Updated About menu item to reflect new name.
- Updated Preferences panel to reflect new name.
- Changed registry key that preferences are stored under to reflect new name.
This change causes settings from previous versions to be lost.
- Updated code so that anything visible to the user reflects the new
- Completely rearranged preferences panel to handle all the new options.
- Added panel to prompt for LDraw directory the first time LDView is run, if
it is not found in either C:\LDRAW or in the LDRAWDIR environment
- Since the old registry settings were lost due to the rename, I
reorganized my registry settings.
- Added support to my convenience class for sub-folders in the registry.
- Changed my main registry path to
- Moved all my custom color registry entries to CustomColors sub-folder.
- Changed initial viewpoint to be at a better angle.
- Fixed initial window title to be LDView (it used to say 'Model
- Fixed Z-buffer noise fix. (My original fix offset the polygons in the
(21 Jun, 2000)
- Project/Source cleanup for source release.
- Fixed FPS to display in black when background color is light.
- Fixed a few DC-related issues (? not positive they were actually
(21 Jun, 2000)
- Added background color setting.
- Added option to turn off specular lighting (shininess).
- Fixed Z-buffer noise with transparent pieces.
- Fixed color when drawing parts all by themselves. Now draw the part using
(18 Jun, 2000)
- Added Menu Bar:
- Added ability to open a different model without having to exit.
- Added preferences panel with the following settings:
- High quality lighting
- Use flat shading
- Use high quality studs
- Show frame rate
- Added About Box.
- Added code to remember window size between runs (including when
- Added code to remember which directory you last opened a file from.
- Added support for all the colors listed in the FAQ.
- Added support for colors used by MLCad which are not in the FAQ.
- Set a minimum window size to 320x240 internal dimensions.
- Fixed RGB values of existing colors to match FAQ.
- Fixed lots of memory leaks (which did not really have any effect due to the
fact that you could only view a single model).
- Fixed bug in which the same file could get closed multiple times, resulting
in crash (also did not show up due to one-model limit).
- Removed a some code that was left over from a previous project. This is
why the main executable is actually smaller than the previous version.
(03 Jun, 2000)
LDView and this web page are both Copyright © 2000-2009 Travis Cobbs.
LEGO® and the LEGO logo are registered trademarks of The Lego Group, which
does not sponsor, endorse, or authorize this site. You can find the official
LEGO website at http://www.lego.com.